Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Empty Boat



A friend shared a cute little story with me and I had to share it with all of you.

A man was crossing the river in his rowboat when another boat collided with his. The man became very angry. He turned to the person manning the other boat, cursed, and shouted at him to steer clear. The next day, the man followed his routine to cross the river when yet again, another boat collided with his. Furiously, he turned around, ready to unleash his anger and vocabulary of profanity at the person in the other boat. However, to his surprise, the other boat was empty. Immediately, his anger subsided and he gently pushed the empty boat away.

Why is it that we would not be angered if an empty boat collided with ours, but we would be most unhappy if the boat was manned? Why are we forgiving and respectful to an empty boat but not to another person?

I should learn to control my temper...

MJ

1 comment:

  1. It is hard to say why one expects so much from people. I think we're hard wired to think that people should care about our feelings and that they should be respectful of what we have to say. I don't expect people to agree with what I have to say. I learned first hand during the vote on Prop 8 that people who were my friends were voting against me and my family. It was pretty rough time. They liked me but didn't think I deserved equal rights what does that mean. I kept my cool, but I also fought back with my words. Remember that the words you have are the most powerful tool you have. Choose wisely and people will listen. Speak out, not in anger but out of compassion and you will change the world around you. Just have some faith.

    ReplyDelete