Friday, August 14, 2009

What is Equality California Thinking?!?

I was stunned this morning when I read my friends facebook status about Equality California’s decision to throw their political weight behind an initiative for the presidential election in 2012 instead of the original plan to put an ballot initiative out in 2010. Don’t they understand that by doing this they are sending a message to people that this issue really isn’t that important and can wait.

Well I am here to tell you that even though I am not a Californian, this news disturbs me as much as my friends in California. I sat there this morning wondering how I was going to work this set back into my blog today. Then it hit me like a brick. Why are we focusing on a minor set back on a state level when we got a wonderful national event coming up in October.

Yeah, I am going to talk more about the National Equality March on Washington DC in October.

What is the National Equality March?

On October 10-11, 2009, the LGBTQ community and our supporters (yes that means you heterosexuals) from all over this great country of ours will gather in Washington, D.C. to let Barack Obama and the Congress of the United States now that it is time for full equal rights for LGBTQ people.

It is a chance for LGBTQ and supports from all across this wonderful country of ours to gather, strategize, march and leave energized and empowered to do the work that needs to be done to get the fight moving for our Equal Rights!!! Remember that this march is only the beginning. After we all return home we need to use the network of contacts we built in Washington DC and continue organizing and fighting for our rights beyond October.

“We will continue this fight in every state, in every county, every city and every town, but we are now determined to take this fight to the federal government, to our President Barack Obama, to the Congress and the Supreme Court of the United States.” - Cleve Jones

On a side note. . .

I want to remind everyone that if you are in or around the Chicagoland area, to stop by either the Cloudgate Sculpture aka “The Bean” in Millennium Park or Scoville Park in Oak Park at for the Nationwide Kiss In at 1pm this Saturday. If you are outside the Chicagoland area and wish to attend please check out http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=124199360752 and look for a Kiss In near you.

Also next week I will be starting a campaign called ‘Brother can you spare a dime’ so keep your eyes open for that.

MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment