Friday, October 16, 2009

The Sanctity of Cabinet Making

As I was going through my e-mails this morning, I saw an e-mail from an old friend of mine that I haven’t talked to in several years. Our friendship took a beaten in early 2007 when we had a falling out about my sexual orientation. She told me then that unless I gave up my sinful lifestyle we could no longer be friends. So I walked away from that friendship with a saddened heart.

So you have to understand my shock of seeing her name in my e-mail box this morning. I was surprised by her e-mail to say the least. It made my blood boil, but not at her at what she was telling me. I will let the e-mail explain it. Here is the e-mail:

Hey Mikey,

I know it’s been a while since we last talk and I am really sorry about that. I would love to reconnect with you someday soon. But on to the reason for this e-mail. I was at church on Sunday and my pastor was talking about the National Equality March on Washington DC. He talked about how we were going to hear a bunch of people saying untruths about homosexuality and that it was our job to combat these lies with the Lords truths. He then went on to share a story with us and I just needed to share it with you.

“Once upon a time there was a cabinet maker. He produced fine, wood cabinets for the people of his village and they all came to him whenever they needed a cabinet for their home. He took great pride in producing cabinets, using wood from two different trees and fitting the crafted pieces together into a seamless union. His cabinets had many drawers and room enough to protect the things the villagers needed to store. The cabinets were strong and useful, built to last a lifetime.

Many villagers were glad to have a useful and beautiful cabinet in their home. The villagers used the cabinet's drawers to protect their possessions from dirt and bugs, filth and corruption. With care, a cabinet lasted a lifetime, protecting the villagers' possessions and making the villagers happy.

Yet, over the years, the cabinet maker discovered that many of the villagers didn't properly care for their cabinets. They no longer realized that even the best-made cabinets needed care and protection. Instead, some villagers left their cabinets exposed to the weather, to dry and crack. Some left their cabinets exposed to rot and filth. Termites ate away at others. Neglected, many of the cabinets broke to pieces.

Some villagers even destroyed their cabinets outright in fits of anger or abuse. Some left their cabinets empty and unused, then threw them away because they could find no use for them.

Many villagers, whose cabinets decayed, blamed the cabinet maker for not building the cabinets strong enough. Even more villagers blamed the cabinets themselves, thinking that cabinets weren't worth the price and care needed to maintain them. Of course, the corrupted and broken cabinets weren't the cabinet maker's, nor the cabinet's fault. Neither were responsible for the villagers' neglect or abuse.

The cabinet maker shook his head in sad bewilderment at the villagers who blamed him or his fine cabinets. In neglecting or abusing the cabinets, the villagers blamed everyone but themselves.

One day, a stranger came to town, telling every villager he met that he, too, was a cabinet maker. He told the villagers that his cabinets were new and improved. The new cabinets, he assured the villagers, were much better than the old ones they were used to. He pointed to the broken and decaying old cabinets as proof that the villagers needed new and improved cabinets. According to the stranger, as soon as he set up shop to sell his new cabinets, the villagers certainly would not want any other kind.

The stranger soon showed up at the cabinet maker's door. The two shared few pleasantries, the cabinet maker finding himself in a quick and tense conversation with his new competitor.

"I understand you have a new cabinet you are trying to sell the people," the cabinet maker said.

"That's right," said the stranger. "My cabinets are newer and better than yours and soon everyone will want one. Your cabinets are now obsolete."

"We'll see," said the cabinet maker. " Do you have one of your new cabinets you can show me?"

The stranger pulled one of his cabinets out of the back of his truck and set it in front of the cabinet maker.

The cabinet maker was startled. In front of him was, not a cabinet, but an end table. "That's not a cabinet," he said. "That's an end table."

"No, you're wrong," the stranger said. "This is a new and improved cabinet and soon everyone will want one."

"But," the cabinet maker said, "it has no drawers. How can it be a cabinet without drawers? It cannot protect the villagers' possessions without drawers."

"Drawers are obsolete," the stranger said. "No one really cares about drawers anymore and those that do happen to need drawers can just stack them underneath the cabinet."

"But," the cabinet maker said, "it is made from only one tree and therefore is weak and cannot support the weight the villagers will place on it."

"Using two trees is old-fashioned. No one really believes that you need two trees to make a cabinet anymore. And besides, no one really expects cabinets to hold any weight anyway."

"But," the cabinet maker said, "it is a side table, not a cabinet. No one will buy this!"

The stranger got angry with the cabinet maker. "You are just an old man with stupid old ideas about cabinets! I will make sure your old and stupid ideas don't stop me from selling my cabinets!" With that the stranger packed up his side table and left.

The next day, the constable showed up at the cabinet maker's door. "The stranger filed a complaint against you," the constable said. "He said you were rude and unfair to him and wouldn't allow him to sell his cabinets to the villagers."

"But," the cabinet maker said, "you don't understand. What the stranger makes are not cabinets but side tables. They use wood from only one tree and have no drawers."

The constable got angry with the cabinet maker. "That's just what he said you'd say. I'm citing you for unfair business practices and hate speech." With that the constable handed a citation to the cabinet maker and left.

Soon after, the stranger showed up at the cabinet maker's door. "You stupid, ignorant old man, what do you have to say about my cabinets now?"

"But," the cabinet maker said, "you don't understand. What you make are not cabinets but side tables. They use wood from only one tree and have no drawers."

The stranger got even more angry than the first time. "You are not only stupid and ignorant, you are a liar!" With that the stranger left.

The next day, the magistrate showed up at the cabinet maker's door. "I will declare from the magistrate's bench that your refusal to acknowledge the stranger's cabinet is unconstitutional, unfair, and takes away his civil rights. If you don't agree, you'll lose your business license and will never make cabinets again."

"But," the cabinet maker said, "you don't understand. What the stranger makes are not cabinets but side tables. They use wood from only one tree and have no drawers."

The magistrate got angry with the cabinet maker. "Are you implying that I don't recognize unfair and unconstitutional acts when I see them? I'm declaring the stranger's civil rights from the magistrate's bench whether you like it or not!" With that the magistrate left.

Soon after, the stranger showed up at the cabinet maker's door. "You bigoted moron, what do you have to say about my cabinets now?"

"But," the cabinet maker said, "you don't understand. What you make are not cabinets but side tables. They use wood from only one tree and have no drawers."

The stranger got even more angry than the second time. "You are not only bigoted and a moron, you are a filthy liar!" With that the stranger left.

The next day, the mayor showed up at the cabinet maker's door. "I will pass a law that says that anything the stranger makes is indeed a cabinet. If you don't agree, you'll lose your business license and will never make cabinets again."

"But," the cabinet maker said, "you don't understand. What the stranger makes are not cabinets but side tables. They use wood from only one tree and have no drawers."

The mayor got angry with the cabinet maker. "Are you implying that I'm getting paid off by the stranger to make these laws? I'm passing that law whether you like it or not!" With that the mayor left.

Soon after, the stranger showed up at the cabinet maker's door. "You old, decrepit cretin, what do you have to say about my cabinets now?"

"But," the cabinet maker said, "you don't understand. What you make are not cabinets but side tables. They use wood from only one tree and have no drawers."

The stranger got even more angry than the third time. "You are not only an old cretin, you are a filthy scumbag liar!" With that the stranger left.

The next day, a student showed up at the cabinet maker's door. "My teacher told me that you don't believe in cabinets."

"But," the cabinet maker said, "you don't understand. What the stranger makes are not cabinets but side tables. They use wood from only one tree and have no drawers."

The student shrugged her shoulders. "Whatever, old dude. You are just as bigoted as the stranger said you'd be. Your ideas are soooooo yesterday!" With that the student left.

The cabinet maker sighed and went back inside his house. He continued to make proper cabinets, using two trees and building lots of drawers, just in case any of the villagers could still tell the difference between a cabinet and a side table…

I tell you brothers and sisters that a side table cannot be a cabinet. Same sex marriage cannot be marriage. Help protect the institution of marriage from those who would change and neuter its definition, and remember, marriage isn't merely an agreement between adults, it is an institution to protect children. Consider donating a few dollars to help preserve the foundational institution of marriage.”

Mikey after listening to this story I thought about you and I now get the bigotry of the church. Who has the right to determine who gets civil rights and who doesn’t. Please forgive me for taking so long to realize that I was an ass when I walked away from our friendship. Please give me a chance to prove to you I have changed.

Your friend for life,
Jess


I apologize for the length of this post but I wanted to share what is being taught from the pulpits of our churches. I really loved the line about marriage being an institution to protect our children. What about those children who come from broken homes. Does god not love them anymore?

I will leave you with a quote, “They are preserving the sanctity of marriage, so that two gay men who've been together for twenty-five years can't get married, but a guy can still get drunk in Vegas and marry a hooker at the Elvis chapel! The sanctity of marriage is saved!” - Lea DeLaria

5 comments:

  1. I've had this fight with so many people. They think that because it is labeled marriage it is automatically tied in with religion. And for some of homosexuals it is, because they were raised to believe that only God can sanctify their relationship through marriage. I tell people all the time I am fighting for marriage under any name, whether it be a civil union, a commitment ceremony, or even common law marriage. I want to have the same rights that my parents and grandparents. I don't want to get kicked out of the hospital room when my partner takes her last breath or have her family make a decision on whether she lives or dies. I want to be able to enjoy what time I have with her the same way other married people do. It infuriates me that people think they have a right to decide that for me because someone told them somewhere in a book that it is wrong. There is one verse in Leviticus. While there are hundreds of verses against lying cheating and stealing and you see that throughout churches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. I am not fighting for the religious aspect of marriage. I am fighting for the civil rights that I deserve. Why is my relationship valued lower then my straight counterparts. My love is not any different then theirs. I hate to say this but because of religions narrow minded views on this, I have lost faith in religion. I believe that any god who would deny their children love and happiness is not a true god.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a story too....and it's much shorter.
    It's about a group of people that push away all family members and friends that they don't agree with.

    Flash forward 40/50/60 year....

    This group of people are on their deathbeds and are full of regret that the friend/family member they pushed away is not by their side.

    But by then it's too late.

    I pity this entire group of people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow MJ that was one ... how do I say this delicately... effed up parable. Marriage is a sturdy cabinet with drawers?! The logic is so...typical of the church. How about the church just stay away from the state? That would solve a lot. It's all furniture, plain and simple & the church shouldn't give a damn what kind I choose to keep in my bedroom!! ps. I'm glad your friend came around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. um find out what church that is and report them. by asking ppl to donate to a cause that fights against marraige they are involving them in politics and thus cannot be a non-profit. churches are legally banned from this bullshit and need to start being held to laws governing non-profits

    ReplyDelete